Table Rock was named for a unique rock formation near the Nemaha River. Unfortunately, time and people destroyed the landmark by 1869. The town was settled by an Episcopal minister name Charles Giddings in 1856, the same year that a post office and the first school were established. Table Rock missed becoming the Pawnee County seat by just 16 votes. In 1858, the town was flooded, and many of the original settlers moved on, leaving only 15 families in residence.
The Atchison & Nebraska Railroad constructed a line through Table Rock in 1871. In 1881, two more rounds of flooding and a fire led to moving the entire village to a location one mile west of the original site. During the 1880’s, Table Rock was home to a creamery, two brickyards, a newspaper, and the Table Rock clay company.

A Methodist church and a Church of Christ were established, along with St. John’s Catholic Lewiston Village ParkChurch. The Catholic church became a museum in later years.

Since it was chartered in 1885, The State Bank of Table Rock has continued to be locally owned and operated. The State Bank of DuBois became a branch of The State Bank of Table Rock in 1994. A year later, the bank opened a branch in Pawnee City. In 1996, the Humboldt branch was opened, followed by the Roca branch in 2008.

The Table Rock area is rich in history, and the Table Rock Historical Society has preserved much of it. They established a museum that includes memorabilia from the days of the “Argus,” Table Rock’s newspaper, along with five other buildings that house historical displays.

Pawnee City Images


 

State Bank of Table Rock

Locally owned and operated since 1885.

Table Rock Historical Society

Tour the multi-building museum, which includes a printing office and opera house.

Table Rock Senior Center

Most weekdays, the Senior Center serves noon meals, including fried chicken on Wednesdays and homemade kolaches on Thursdays. 

Table Rock Park

Features a tennis/basketball court, playground equipment, shelter, stage, and restrooms.