Steinauer (which most locals pronounce “Steener”) is named for Anton, Nicholas, and Joseph Steinauer, three brothers who immigrated from Switzerland and settled in the area in 1856. After additional settlers made the village their home, a post office was established in 1874, and the community was officially named Steinauer the same year. In 1910, Steinauer reached its peak population of 248. At that time, the village included a bank, post office, saloon, lumber yard, hotel, tin shop, shoe repair shop, furniture store, telephone office, and livery stable, along with two grocery stores, two blacksmith shops, and two hardware stores.
The Bank of Steinauer, which was established in 1888 by Joseph Steinauer, has been continuously owned and operated by his descendants. St. Anthony’s Catholic church was built in 1889, and a parochial school was added in 1912. The Knights of Columbus Hall, which was constructed in 1929, hosts several fundraiser events throughout the year, including an annual brunch in March. The Salem United Church of Christ, which was established in 1879, offers a variety of events, including an ice cream social in July. The church is located one mile north and one mile west of Steinauer.
The Convent House Bed and Breakfast gives visitors a beautiful, historic place to stay while in the Steinauer area. Housed in a building that began as a convent for four Benedictine Sisters, Convent House features a chapel, garden area, guest kitchen, dining room, sitting room, and banquet facilities. The banquet room is perfect for family celebrations, and catering is available.
Steinauer is located 11.5 miles northwest of Pawnee City via Highways 50 and 4. A city park is available for picnics and playground activities, and Willard’s Tavern offers food and drinks. For nature lovers and birdwatchers, Bowwood State Wildlife Management Area is two miles south of Steinauer. The 320 acres that make up Bowwood include grasslands, two ponds, croplands, and wooded areas.
Built in 1889, this church features beautiful architecture and decorative elements.
Salem United Methodist Church
Established in 1979, this classic church hosts an ice cream social every July.
Convent House B&B
Enjoy a quiet stay in a former nunnery.
Enjoy grasslands, croplands, wooded areas, and two ponds at the 320-acre WMA.